Policies and Positions
The League has positions on the national, state and local level. A position reflects members understanding and agreement on a particular public policy issue. The League is then able to initiate, support, or oppose a variety of issues over a period of time. The LWVUS positions relate to national issues, the LWVAK positions relate to state issues, and the local Leagues positions relate to local issues. Each local League may respond to local issues based on national, state or local positions. With the approval of the LWVUS and/or LWVAK, a local league may also respond to national and state issues.The process for development of positions includes the following steps:
- Formal adoption by members at an annual meeting (for local leagues) or by state/national delegates (for state and our national league) of an issue for study.
- Member committee studies the issue, agrees on broad concepts and prepares a report for the board of directors.
- Formulation of a position by the appropriate board of directors.
- Position sent to League members.
- Action taken as directed by the board of directors.
- Annual or biennial re-adoption of the position.
ISSUE POSITIONS OF THE ANCHORAGE LEAGUE
Empowering voters. Defending democracy.
We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge, and the confidence to participate.
We believe in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy.